Tuesday 27 October 2015

The Fashion Illustration series: The Getting started with Fashion Illiustration

Hey everybody! I've started with a new series that I think I'll stick with and it's called the Fashion illustration series. I will be making a series of blog posts to explain my fashion process and how I do what I do. The posts will be in posts where you can work your way up to more advanced things.

The first post is how to get started with all this fashion art hoo ha. I've broken it down into useful steps. It's probably best to do these in order too. 

1. Decide a go to method

By a Go to method I mean a method you can just wack out without any planning or thought. My Go to method is sketching, finelining, inking and finishing. Yours maybe different, play around with the order in which you do things and find what's best for you.



To look at an easy go to method to try click here to see my "9 Steps for drawing blog post"

2. Source your inspiration 

I cannot stress enough on this step!!!!!! So many beginners in fashion illustration give up too quickly because they don't do enough research and they run out of ideas. Inspiration is key because it gets very annoying staring at a blank page for long. There's so many ways to be inspired;
  • Watch Tv shows - WATCH YOUTUBE! 
  • Use pinterest, tumblr and your social networks
  • Use Vogue and Elle
  • Watch FataleFashion on Youtube for fashion shows 
  • Read fashion magazines 
When you've gathered all your inspiration, don't discard of it, make a moodboard so you can always go back to it. 

An example of a moodboard/visual research in my GCSE Art sketchbook
3. Keep a sketchbook

If you don't keep a sketchbook ideas could disappear from your head very fast, it's always good to carry a small one (about A5 in size) to help jot down ideas and do quick sketches so you don't forget things.


4.Watch tutorials 

It's likely that if you're a beginner you don't know much, so watching tutorials is key. When it comes to Fashion illustration some good Youtube channels are: 
  • FSketcher
  • Zyra Banez
  • Shah Design 
  • Fashion Teaching 
  • Fashion Artventures
That's basically all you need to get started, thanks for reading x

Song of the day: J Hus ft Mista Silva - Thing for you


No comments:

Post a Comment