Sunday 31 January 2016

Product review: Winsor and Newton - Brushmarkers

You guys know that markers are my life! I have another set here today to show you the newly created markers by Winsor and Newton. 



My brief marker history:

I have been using alcohol based markers for three years now. I started off with Letraset's promarkers then progressed onto buying Copic ciaos in 2015. I also bought the inexpensive finecolour markers in 2015. As of early 2016 I have bought Brushmarkers by the fabulous Winsor and Newton. 

Quick overview of the product:

What are they?

These are alcohol based markers with a similar design to promarkers. They were created by the well known artist brand Winsor and Newton who have released a whole new series of markers including an update of the promarkers and all new Winsor and Newton's "pigment marker". 

Pricey?

These markers are new from Winsor and Newton so they are bound to be pricey. There's always the smart way with price and then the "I don't know how to look for bargains" way. I bought these markers as a skin tone set from the online art store Cowling and Wilcox that do amazing prices and probably the cheapest on the net. Promarkers are currently a pound each on sale. Shocking right? I bought these for £7.95 which I thought was great since from Winsor and Newton's website each pen is £2.50.

Good features:
  • Dual ended - Chisel and brush nib (BRUSHmarkers)
  • 72 colours available - Just like the Copic set A's and B's 
  • Blendable
  • High quality pigment 
  • Reasonable price 
Things needed to make them work:

  • Bleedproof paper or smooth card paper
  • Quality fineliners (I recommend; Pilot G-tec C4, Unipin fineliners and Pigma Micron) 


My honest opinion:

Copic have competition. These markers absolutely kill the game. You could colour with copics next to them and not tell the difference. For many, the reason why Copic was seen as better than promarker was because it had a brush nib. Well, clever Winsor and Newton mirrored the promarker look for all those promarker lovers out there (GUILTY) and added a brush tip to those complaining. Now, with excellent pigment, a brush tip, a flawless design and a flawless price - What's Copic again? The only thing Copic has over these babies is that they refill however let me tell you the truth about refills. One Copic refill costs around £4-£6. I hate looking at that price just for refills so I just don't. Most of my Copic skin tones are gone so I plan to buy new ones, I prefer that over refills.




To conclude, this has been added to one of my favourites. They are just amazing and Copic really do have some competition. Thank you for reading and I hope all artists reading get inspired to buy these!

Lauren x




No comments:

Post a Comment