Thursday 8 January 2015

My first watercolor portrait thing!

Hey guys! Been super busy this week with school but i'm wonder woman! So I slot everything in. This week as part of my arts award silver I tried to experiment with different media and the first one I did was watercolor.

So I took a picture reference and this picture reference was Rated R - Rihanna. I drew the drawing first and then colored it in with watercolor.

I started off by doing quite thick strokes for her hair and leaving some spaces white to represent space and light. Her lips look rather weird and I ended up not liking them so I then drew her with her tongue sticking out.


I continued here by finishing the hair. I started off with intense black strokes and then went over some white areas with grey strokes. I coloured the eyebrows with grey watercolour. I also used black watercolour and added a lot of water and that made a light grey wash across her face and rendered the face with grey and black pencil. 


Finally I used my 0.1 and 0.3 fineliners for the eye, iris, pupil and also the eyeliner.

Lastly I added detail with black and white pencils to create shadows and highlights: below is the final image, it didn't end up looking like Rihanna but the photo was just a reference for me to master facial proportion for portraits.


Thank you guys so much for watching this video, comment below if you like it! Once I master watercolor i'll do a tutorial for you guys. Watch out for the "Colouring with promarkers" video tutorial coming soon requested by Lilliana x

Love you guys! - I'm out!

No comments:

Post a Comment