Saturday 17 January 2015

5 ways to get better Fashion illustrations

Hey guys! So, I thought up of this post because I love helping my readers and I know a lot of you're artists - Fashion illustrators.

Disclaimer: In no way at all am I calling myself the best or bragging or whatever. I've been drawing fashion for almost 6 years now so I do have quite a bit of experience. This is just some advice that you might find helpful.

1. Materials

Maybe you illustrations don't look bright enough and you can't figure out why. You may need to consider getting better artist quality materials to make your drawings look brighter and better. This will cost you quite a bit but it is definitely worth it and you'll see a change in your work and your drawings will generally be respected more because you've used artist quality materials that are known.

Some companies to consider:

  • Letraset
  • Faber Castell
  • Prismacolor
  • Reeves

2. Croquis

I had this problem for a while and I didn't know how to get out of it. All my fashion sketches were looking the same because I was using the same body position/croquis. A good way to get out of this is to just google ''fashion croquis'' print some off and just trace around them and put the clothes on top of them. You'll see that in time you'll be able to draw loads of different positions.

3. Ideas

Fashion is either a yes or a no and to me there is no maybe so. We have a lot of fashion today that is acceptable on the catwalk however not outside because its just crazy but, you have to decide what your going to draw and it can be one or the other or it can be both. Your ideas are your ideas but if you want to see if people like them ask a few people what they think and tell them to be honest with you before you stick it up on social media.

4. Inspiration

Your designs might not have the oomf or wow factor and this might be because you need inspiration. There's no better place to find artist inspiration than the internet. Consider places like:

  • Pinterest
  • Instagram 
  • Tumblr 
and all around you to be honest!

5. Publicity 

If you draw and keep your audience small and keep it limited to friends and family you'll never be told how to improve because they don't want to hurt your feelings. Expose it to the outside world. Get a Deviant Art account, Make a blog, get a free online portfolio with any website hosts! There's a million things you can do. 

For any further advice just email me at laureywilliamsfashion@gmail.com and I can give you more tips and tricks. Have an awesome weekend <3 

Lauren x

No comments:

Post a Comment