Friday 5 September 2014

Fashion Sketchbooks.

Hi everyone! Finally the weekend! As soon as I came home I turned my laptop on, I missed blogging. School has taken over everything. Today I'm going to be talking about sketchbooks.

As a fashion artist my sketchbook is extremely important to me because idea that pops into my head gets written down there or drawn. It's the first place I go when I'm about to draw. Sketchbooks should be important to all kinds of artists because if you've lost all your work and all you have left is your sketchbook it still shows a lot about you and your creativity.

Now. A fashion sketchbook. Slightly different.

WAYS TO KEEP A FASHION SKETCH BOOK.

- Make it all about YOUR label.

Your sketchbook. Your ideas. Your thoughts. A good start to keeping a sketchbook is personalising it and making it your own. Aw. I personalised it and it doesn't look good. It may not look good to you but it says a whole lot about your when another person only looks at the cover. Make the first page represent you. Make a title page with your Label name, logo and tagline and just decorate it.

- Put EVERYTHING in it. (Including 3D stuff)

As a designer i'm always looking for ideas and inspiration, and whenever I catch it, it is way too precious to let it go. Therefore it always goes in my sketchbook. I even stick fabric swatches in (that's the 3D Stuff).

Get Swatches Step 2.jpg
Something like this will do, but make sure you get a way of sticking in the fabric.
www.wikihow.com
- Organise your sketchbook

Organise your sketchbook into your different collections, brainstorms and so on. Up to you how you wanna do it but the easiest way to do it is to make a contents page. Some categories you could sort it into: 

  • Different collections 
  • Fashion Categories (Haute couture, ready wear or mass market) 
  • Colour code 
  • Random sketches and doodles 
  • Other art
What to put in your sketchbook: 
  • Write down anything you feel you need to 
  • Sketches of memories, nature, fashion sketches, patterns, faces, and everything.
  • Fabric swatches
  • Name your collections and write design specifications about the dresses you've designed
  • Anything you want to really - fashion related of course 
Want to be a designer? Wait for the next post, some great tips. 

Efya Lauren x

No comments:

Post a Comment