Thursday 21 August 2014

Interviewing Harriett - Fashionable scribbles

Hi guys, I had a great chance to interview Harriett from Fashionable scribbles, who runs a great blog on fashion art. 


1. When did you start fashion illustration?
Hmm I started when I was 11 years old. Then I didn't know what I was doing was called fashion illustration lol.

2. How has your practice and work developed over time?
I must say it definitely has changed a lot over the years. I started off with just tracing figures my teacher gave me and drawing clothes I had seen on TV, magazines or just clothes I thought of that might look nice together. I have always been afraid of adding colour to my artwork as I was afraid I would ruin what I have drawn. Now, I love the idea of adding colour to my work and now my illustrations look more professional than they were 3-4 years ago.

3.  What materials do you use for your art work?
I use any mechanical pencil because they are thin and don't smudge everywhere, my Derwent sketch book, 30cm ruler, a rubber, a watercolour pad, watercolour paint, colouring pencils, a stabilo fineliner and paint brushes.

4. How do you get your ideas for illustrations and designs?
It's weird, they just come to me. I'm not one to look at nature and suddenly come up with an idea.... not that it's not a great process. Just not for me. I look at magazines, Pinterest and Instagram for my inspiration. I pick an outfit, draw it and think what I can add to it to make it different. I sometimes, take things off like a long sleeve and swap it for a lace sleeve with an underlining material such as beige for example. 

5. What do you dislike about your work?
Hmm I dislike how I can't paint like some artists I know on Instagram who are amazing.

6. Who is your favourite artist?
I have many, but my top 3 has got to be; Bil Dovan, Veronica March and Holly Nicholson (on Instagram)

7.  What's the best thing about being an artist?
The fact that your work can never be wrong. Everyone is always looking for something fresh and new, something that a past artist never thought of. There is no right or wrong way of drawing or painting. I mean okay, the way we are taught to draw in school is the most common way but that does not mean it is the only way. Take Picasso for example, he used shapes to replace our facial features. Smart thinking.

8. Any advice to the upcoming fashion illustrators starting out?
Don't give up! Try different medias, draw everyday if you can and maybe send your work to some illustrators online, like on Instagram. I know a few who are happy to meet aspiring illustrators and would love to look at your work. 

Thank you so much to Harriett for letting me interview her, it was lots of fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment