Tuesday 26 August 2014

4 good Art Mediums

Hi, guys. I decided to do this post because a reader asked me what are some really good art materials to use for fashion illustration. I am going to try and use different mediums and this is in no particular order.

1. Alcohol Based Markers - My favourite

These are what I use to colour my fashion illustrations, they are really good. An easy way for filling spaces with block colour and creating depth, shadows and highlights. I must say that they are expensive but some brands are cheaper than others. Brands of alcohol based markers include:

  • Letraset Promarkers (What I use) 
  • Copic Ciao Markers (What I want) 
  • Spectrum Noir Markers (What I can't afford lol.) 
To see a quick review of the Promarkers and Copics, Head over to the post I did a while ago on it. To go there click Here. It does require a bit of practice using them though and if not careful they leak.

2. Watercolour 

Watercolour comes in mainly two forms; tubes and pan. However you can also buy watercolour pencils. I have all forms but the one that works best with me is pan, I just find it easy. Watercolour can be purchased anywhere but the high street ones usually aren't that good. I have high street watercolours. Some good brands for watercolour are:
  • Windsor and Newton
  • M.Graham
  • Sennelier 
  • Derwent 
3. Charcoal and Pastels 

Charcoal is charcoal. No special brands. It cannot be specially made, all charcoal is charcoal. Just that it comes in different forms. 
  • roar charcoal
  • charcoal pencils 
  • charcoal sticks 
Pastels are a good media to use to create a different kind of look and it just looks different from other medias. There are different types of pastels:
  • Soft Pastels 
  • Oil Pastels
  • Hard 
4. Colouring pencils 

Colouring pencils also come in different types and it's best to buy the best you can afford when it comes to them because rubbing out colouring pencils is not easy. There are some really good brands for colouring pencils. My favourite is Faber Castell and Derwent. Their things are amazing quality and not expensive at all. Good brands for colouring pencils.
  • Faber Castell
  • Derwent
  • Prismacolor 
I hope you enjoyed the post and it helps you make some decisions on what mediums to use and buy x

Efya x

No comments:

Post a Comment