Saturday 18 January 2014

Drawing: 9 Steps

Hey guys today I'm going to he talking about what I do before and after I draw and how it helps me because I think it's always good to plan what your going to do before you draw.

1. Inspiration
I look for inspiration to inspire me and motivate my drawings because what I really dislike is when i've got a piece of paper and i'm sitting there for about 10 minutes saying ''What should I draw'', so  before I draw I look for inspiration and what to base my draw on. I look at things such as:

Art
Social networks
Humour 
Outside world 
Culture 
Celebs 
Sports
Colours 
Home decor
Animals 
Music 
Photography 
Science 
Music 
Nature 
Words&quotes
Cars
Books
Magazines 
Holidays and events 
Kids 
Films 
And the list is endless

2. Category 
Choose your category. If your familiar with fashion categories you would know that the three fashion categories are haute couture, ready wear and mass market everything else that falls underneath, examples are:

Emo
Casual
Scene
Modern
Bohemian
Proffessional
Preppy
Beachy
Tom boy
Goth
Chic
Swimwear
Bridal
Continental 
Colours 
Indie rock
Edgy
Punk 
All American 
Alpine 
Art noveau 
Aztec 
Biker 
Classic
Country 
Cowboy 
Disco
Gangster 
Geek chic
Glamour 
Gypsy 
Hippie
Industrial
Latino
Native American 
Pop
Rave 

3. Research&Colours 
Research your category if you don't know it well. Research what kind of the style it is and whether it has a colour theme or not. After that choose your colours according to the colour wheel. Remember - BLUE AND GREEN SHOULD NEVER BE SEEN.
Step 4: Scruffiti (Optional)
Sometimes I use this technique when I want to create patterns. You really just scribble on paper without taking your pencil off the paper. Then you highlight the shapes that you like and can consider using them on your designs.

Step 5: Introspect
What's important to you? What are you feeling right now? How may you translate that into an image?

Step 6: Collect all your inspiration - Mood Boards
Collect all your information and make a mood board to refer to while your designing. If all your inspiration is on your phone/laptop I suggest pinterest where you can make boards online and pin your favourite things and also follow other boards.

Step 7: Draw, Colour and Label
Draw the design, colour it with whatever media you feel like and when your done attach a piece of paper to it talking about it's materials.

Step 8: Design specification
This doesn't have to be longer than a page, simply just talk about the dress and what it's made out of and the target audience. I'll make a post on how to write specifications next week.

Step 9: Broadcast
This is my favourite part, show it off put it on your blog, twitter, facebook, instagram and so on. 

So, that's it for this post and I hope this helps.

Laurey xxo

No comments:

Post a Comment