Monday 17 February 2014

This half term: My arts award

This half term I'm starting my arts award silver. It's a goal I set myself at the beginning of the year to do because I've already done a bronze. Out of all my friends I feel kinda cool because I'm the only one on a silver. Silver takes about a year to complete. 

Last time (bronze) I did my arts awards on fashion illustration. This time I've made the subject bigger and broader to just Fashion. I did this because silver is supposed to be much harder than bronze. When I did bronze I complete it in one month, silver takes a year so there must be a lot to be done. I also changed the subject because over the last year I've become more interested in other areas of fashion - not just illustration and I've also learnt a lot about those areas so I wanna show if off. 

For those of you who are sitting there going "well what's an arts award?" Arts award is a national qualification. Basically you can do your arts on anything and I mean anything. It doesn't even have to be art. Which I don't get because it's called arts award...? You learn new skills and you get an award so why not! It's offered at five levels: 

• Discover 
• Explore 
• Bronze 
• Silver 
• and Gold 

I skipped Discover and explore because they were way to easy and I had passed the age range to do it. It's offered at places like schools, colleges, community centres and many more places. However it's not free, it does cost to do an arts award. My school pays for everybody because, well.. There a school. You can't participate if your over 25. 

Back to silver arts award. It's a level 2 qualification and it has two units like bronze - arts practice and arts leadership. Even though it's two units there is a lot in it. For arts practice you need to; complete an arts challenge, review art events, researching artists and art organizations and deliver a project with people. All this is put into a portfolio so If you don't have one Arts award practically builds one for you. It can be a diary, a normal portfolio, a blog - HINT HINT ;), a website or anything really. This blog is going to be featured in my arts award so watch out for that. Silver is for young people aged 14 to 25. When you do a silver arts award the standard you are working at is an A* - C GCSE grade. 

My Arts Award. 
There is a lot to do in my arts award so I'm starting right away. 

Researching artists 
The artist I've chosen is Laura Laine because her style and technique is really cool. 

Completing an arts challenge
I'll be doing more than one challenge so I actually pass. 

• I'll be making my first dress. 
• I'll be hosting a fashion show and styling my friends. 
• I'll be posting a mumber of blog posts on my research and arts award. 
• I'll also be designing a number of dresses. 

(Now you can see why this is going to take a year)

Reviewing art events
Last time I went to the fashion and textile museum and I'm going there again. I'll also be getting a ticket to Africa fashion week. 

So that's arts award. If you want to find out more visit their website: 


Arts Award

www.artsaward.org.uk/
Arts Award inspires young people to grow their arts and leadership talents.

Thanks a million for reading, 

Lauren xo



No comments:

Post a Comment